The George Hotel – Covid 19 Update
Covid-19 Update from 22nd September 2020
Following the latest Government update, we will be updating our procedures to ensure we keep our teams and guests safe.
Before you arrive
• If you are showing any Covid-19 symptoms or have been in recent contact with anyone who is displaying symptoms, please do not visit the hotel.
• If you feel unwell and start to display any Covid-19 symptoms during your stay please call NHS 24, then notify Reception and stay in your room, following any guidelines issued by the NHS Helpline.
When you arrive:
• All guests and staff must wear face coverings in the public areas of the hotel which include reception and corridors.
• Please wash and sanitise your hands regularly.
• Please observe any one-way systems and social distancing space from guests who are not in your party or our team.
Bar & Restaurant
• The Lounge Bar is open for drinks from 8.30am to 10pm, with last orders at 9.30pm.
• We will operate a table service at all times.
• Lunch is available 12pm to 2.30pm every day.
• The Bar menu is available 12pm to 6pm on Saturday
• Evening meals are available 6pm to 9pm every day.
• Face coverings are not required when sitting in our bar or restaurants, but please wear your face mask when leaving your table.
• Guests who are not staying with us must submit their details to the NHS Track & Trace using the QR code. Paper forms are also available.
• Strictly no more than 6 people per table.
• Breakfast is served between 7am and 9 am Monday to Friday, and between 8am and 10am Saturday & Sunday.
• On arrival at breakfast you will be shown to your table and your host will take your order and serve your breakfast to your table.
• Continental breakfast items include fruit juice, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad, toast and a selection of cereals.
• Cooked breakfast items will be plated and served to your table.
• You can choose to eat in our socially distanced restaurant or collect to dine in your room.
When you check in:
• We are minimising contact with screens at our reception desk and your room key card will already be sanitised and ready for you to collect.
• All of our rooms are left vacant for 24 hours after a guest leaves when possible.
• All areas of your room are deep cleaned and items such as hair dryers, remote controls and switches are sanitised before your stay.
• Please note your room will not be served if you are staying for more than two days to help us minimise contact.
• Tea, coffee, milk etc refills are available – please ask at Reception.
• Book with confidence – all of our rates are full refundable if you need to cancel your stay up to 7 days before your check in date, or if the hotel has to close. Flexible date changes are available after booking.
After Your Visit
• If you have experienced any symptoms of Covid-19 with 48 hours since leaving the hotel, it is vitally important that you notify us immediately.
The George Hotel on Bird Street, Lichfield is all set to reopen its doors on Saturday 4th July. The city centre hotel has been closed for the first time in its long history since March. Now, with the easing of lockdown restrictions, the hotel has been independently audited by Quality in Tourism to ensure it is Safe, Clean & Legal ™ to reopen.
The George Hotel on Bird Street has been owned and run by the Webb family since 2000. Since the hotel closed in March the family, including CEO Angela Burns, have been staying at the property and answering the phones as the team have been furloughed. The team are now ready to open the doors again and welcome back guests safely to the hotel.
Angela Burns, CEO of Webb Hotel Group commented: “It’s been so sad to see the hotel empty with the doors locked. To walk around the hotel and not see the bar stocked or hear the buzz of conversation has been awful. We are a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year business – so we have never had a locked door before. The first few days of reopening will be a test, as we don’t know how many people will turn up, but we are really excited to reopen.”
Mark Santy, The George Hotel’s General Manager commented: “The biggest challenge we now face is customer confidence. We are a business that sells experiences. We sell food, drink and rooms, but people are really coming for a social experience so we need to make sure that the atmosphere is still going to be there, but that it is safe. That’s why the Quality in Tourism’s Covid-19 Safe, Clean & Legal ™ accreditation has been great. It means we have been independently audited to ensure we have all the correct processes and procedures in place to reopen safely.”
The George Hotel’s new Covid-19 Safe, Clean & Legal™ procedures include temperature checking staff every day; minimising contact for guests at check-in; removing non-essential items from bedrooms; implementing one-way systems and social distancing measures; operating with a reduced menu to ensure staff safety; removing tables and chairs to ensure the restaurants and bars can operate with social distancing; as well as deep cleaning all areas of the hotel and regular sanitisation of key touch point areas.
Angela Burns commented: “The pandemic has certainly changed the way we think and act about things. We don’t know how this year is going to go, but hopefully, absence will make the heart grow fonder. Hotels, restaurants and bars are taken for granted sometimes, but we are often the heart of a community and a hub to meet. There’s no denying that Covid-19 has had a devastating blow to the hospitality sector, but we are determined to stay focused and survive as a family business.”
Back to Latest News